Z Grill has been slowly but surely, making a name in the pellet grill industry. It’s one of those rare products that can multitask without taking a significant hit in quality; you can bake, braise, roast, smoke, and sear, with good results.
One such example is the 2021 Powerhouse 1000 2B Pellet Grill. Here, Z Grills did what they do best; studied the customer feedback on their older releases and used it to improve their next product. How well did that work out?
There are three models to choose from
- 10002B with powder coated lid
- 10002B2E with stainless steel lid
Click to jump straight to each topic
The Powerhouse 10002B is a relatively huge pellet grill compared to all my other Z Grill reviews. This size reflects the company’s efforts to maximize internal capacity; it comes with a whopping 1060 square inches of cooking space spread out among three racks inside the primary cooking chamber;
- An uppermost ‘Warming Rack’ that measures 255 square inches
- A middle rack with 374 square inches worth of cooking space, and
- The lower rack is the largest of the bunch, with 432 square inches.
You also get a 20-pound hopper capable of feeding the fire pot for eight to ten hours. How long the wood pellets last will depend on your chosen temperature; the grill manages a minimum of 180 degrees and a maximum of 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
For temperature control, you get a digital center to adjust the temperature range inside the primary cook chamber. This is done through the micro-feeder controls on an LCD in the PID controller that can adjust the rate at which the internal auger supplies wood pellets to the firepot.
There is a reusable grease collector cup where excess drippings are deposited throughout the grilling session. You’ll also get Z Grill’s own waterproof and UV resistant grill cover during purchase.
Let’s see what others have to say about the Z Grills 10002B in this video.
Overall, Z Grills 10002B does what it’s supposed to do quite efficiently. The three separate internal racks may be uncommon in the industry, but their utility on this model can’t be understated. Their combined 1060 square inches of cooking space allow you to smoke an incredible amount of country sausages, riblets, and skin-on fish fillets.
But if you don’t need that much space, individual racks slide out easily to allow you some level of customization. So, depending on the meat you want to prepare, you can pull out one or two grates and use the space provided by the remaining one(s). This kind of versatility is something that most pellet grill users will appreciate.
Another helpful feature is the relatively wide temperature range between 180 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You have complete control within this range, allowing you to roast, grill, bake, smoke, and braise your meat conveniently. It’s not only the meat though; you can also manipulate the heat characteristics to bake biscuits, pizza, and cornbread.
The side and front table hold the prep and serving trays as expected.
What I like
Here are some of the things you’ll enjoy about using a Z Grills 1000 2B grill:
- Removable Racks: The grill’s racks can be easily pushed in and pulled out. This feature allows you to customize the space inside your grill depending on the meat you’re preparing.
- Space: Z grills 10002B gives you 1060 square inches of cooking space. So, if you’re having a huge party, none of your guests will have to wait in line with an empty plate.
- Digital controls: The LED screen allows you to monitor and control the temperature and the rate at which wood pellets are delivered to the firepot.
- Cover: You get a high-quality cover when purchasing the Z Grills 1000 2B. This cover is waterproof and UV resistant, making it an excellent way to protect your investment.
- Easy to clean: The grill comes with a 20-pound wood pellet hopper with a hopper purge feature that makes it easy to empty the hopper after cooking or grilling. There is also a reusable grease collection cup that is easy to wash.
- Warranty: The Z Grills Powerhouse 1000 2B comes with a 3-year warranty plan. This may not be the highest in the market (some competitors offer up to five years), but it’s perfect for a wood pellet grill at this price point. Note that this warranty is only viable if you purchase the grill at Z Grills’s official website.
What I don’t like
This Z Grill only had one major weakness; the lack of wireless connectivity. While the digital control center with its LCD is accurate and handy, the utility of WiFi or Bluetooth and a companion app is a feature many will miss.
I also miss a hopper cleanout on the hopper
Unfortunately, this means that you can’t stray too far from the grill as you can’t monitor it from your phone.
The Z Grills 10002B is a heavy appliance. The grill weighs just over 130 pounds and requires four or six hands to help put it together. Fortunately, assembling the grill is a relatively straightforward affair. You will be provided with a set of instructions that are, for the most part, easy to read. With the help of a friend, the whole process should take between an hour and an hour and a half.
You’ll also need to burn in your Z Grill before using it. So:
- Make sure that the grill tray and grill racks are inside the grill before closing the grill.
- Tune the heat to high and let it run for around 45 minutes. This will burn off any oils remaining from when your grill was made.
- After 45 minutes, initiate the shut-down cycle without turning the power off. This leaves the power on to ensure that all wood pallets have burned out.
- Once that happens, your Grill will automatically turn off. You can then remove the racks and wipe them with a moist cloth.
- To make cleaning the grease trays easier, cover them with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Once all that’s done, you’re ready to cook.
The Z Grill costs $679.00 on Z Grill’s official website at the time of my writing this Z Grills 10002B review. And considering all the perks of this wonderful grill, I’d say it is pretty worth it. Delivery takes 3-8 business days, and orders with multiple products will be divided into separate shipments.
Just keep your eyes open and subscribe to my newsletter because Z Grills has discount actions all the time and I can let you know about them.
Z Grills 10002B Review – My Opinion
I think that the Z Grills ZPG10002B not Having Wi-Fi connections is not a serious deal-breaker for me personally. I have used probe thermometers with a receiver for many years now and this works fine for me.
However, if you are into these gadgets this is not your grill and you should have a look at the other Z-Grills I wrote reviews for.
In general, this pellet grill just does what it is supposed to do without any problems and I personally like the fact that it does not come with all types of bells and whistles.
Eddie van Aken
Eddie van Aken has years of experience in running his full-service restaurant and with this came working with using and dealing with all types of kitchen equipment. With his experience, he is able to find all the pros and cons of grills and add them to the grill reviews he is doing. You can read more on the about page for Eddie van Aken