The first news about Moink Balls started to show up around 2008 and this is reason enough to put a recipe for them here since a lot of people still haven’t heard of them and they are delicious and easy to make.
The word Moink Balls comes from the Moo sound that a cow makes and the Oink sound that a pig makes.
Moink balls are meatballs made from hamburger meat that is wrapped in bacon and has a BBQ sauce on them.
There are a ton of recipes available but I will give you the one that my daughter made and published on here MissBBQ website where you can find a lot more recipes and tips.
Moink ball ingredients
Click to jump straight to each topic
- 1.5 pound Hamburger meat
- 1.5 Ounce Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Ounce Bread crumbs
- 6 ounces Milk
- 2 tablespoons Fine chopped Garlic
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh grounded black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 pound of sliced bacon
You will also need your favorite rub and sauce
Preparation of Moink Balls
- Mix all ingredients in the hamburger meat and make golf ball size balls of it.
- Rub them with your favorite rub
- Wrap the thinly sliced bacon around the balls and place them in the refrigerator
You can use a toothpick to secure the bacon if you like.
- Heat up your BBQ or smoker to about 225 – 230 Fahrenheit
Use an indirect grilling method for BBQ.
- My personal favorite is to use some applewood or wood from another fruit tree
- Smoke or slow cook the balls for about one hour and then add your BBQ sauce
- Let them cook for another 30 minutes to get them done
The balls can be prepared in advance and can even be smoked in advance and then just cooked for about 1 hour with the sauce on it when you need them. They can also be made on one of the pellet smokers I reviewed and I use that or by cooking them indirectly with charcoal.
If you are looking for more recipes you can find them on the Grill and BBQ recipes page on better grills.
- 1 Grill, smoker, or pellet grill.
- 1 Bowl
- 1.5 pound Hamburger meat
- 1.5 Ounce Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Ounce Bread Crumbs
- 6 Ounces Milk
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Fresh ground pepper
- Tsp oregano
- !/2 Pound Thinl sliced bacon
- 1 cup Your favorite Rub
- 1 cup Your favorite Sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Make golf ball size balls of it
- Season them with your favorite rub
- Wrap thin sliced bacon around the balls
- Use a toothpick to secure the bacon
Prepare Grill and Cook
- Heat up BBQ or smoker to 225 – 250 Fahrenheit
- Use the indirect cooking method
- Cook low and slow for about 1 hour
- Add your BBQ sauce
- Cook another 30 minutes
Related read: How ground beef is made.
Eddie van Aken
Eddie van Aken has years of experience in running his full-service restaurant and with this came working with using and dealing with all types of kitchen equipment. With his experience, he is able to find all the pros and cons of grills and add them to the grill reviews he is doing. You can read more on the about page for Eddie van Aken