The first news about Moink Balls started to show up around 2008 and this is reason enough to put a recipe for them here since a lot of people still haven’t heard of them and they are delicious and easy to make.
The word Moink Balls come from the Moo sound that a cow makes and the Oink sound that a pig makes. Reason to call them this is that they are made of hamburger meat and bacon.
Moink balls are meat balls made from hamburger meat that are wrapped in bacon and have a BBQ sauce on them. There are a ton of recipes available but I will give you the one that my daughter made and published on here MissBBQ website where you can find a lot more recipes and tips.
Moink ball ingredients
- 1.5 pound Hamburger meat
- 1.5 Ounce Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Ounce Bread crumbs
- 6 ounces Milk
- 2 table spoons Fine chopped Garlic
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh grounded black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 pound of sliced bacon
You will also need your favorite rub and sauce
Preparation of Moink Balls
- Mix all ingredients in the hamburger meat and make golf ball size balls of it.
- Rub them with your favorite rub
- Wrap the thin sliced bacon around the balls and place them in the refrigerator
- Heat up your BBQ or smoker to about 225 – 230 Fahrenheit
- My personal favorite is to use some apple wood or wood from another fruit tree
- Smoke or slow cook the balls for about one hour and than add your BBQ sauce
- Let them cook for another 30 minutes to get then done
You can use a toothpick to secure the bacon if you like.
Use an indirect method for BBQ.
The balls can be prepared in advance and can even be smoked in advance and than just cooked for about 1 hour with the sauce on it when you need them. They can also be made on one of the pellet smokers we reviewed and I use that or by cooking them indirect with charcoal.
If you are looking for more recipes you can find them in the Grill and BBQ recipes category on better grills.