Why grill thermometer reviews? Because a thermometer for your grill temperature and internal temperature in your meat can improve the quality of your cooking.
The right digital meat or probe thermometer can improve your grilling
Click to jump straight to each topic
- The right digital meat or probe thermometer can improve your grilling
- A quality grill thermometer is not an accessory it is almost a necessary
- Digital Pocket Thermometers
- Digital Probe Thermometers
- Where do we need a thermometer on the grill
We all spend most of the time a lot of money on a nice grill, smoker or BBQ and another big chunk of money on quality meat and then start cooking.
A quality grill thermometer is not an accessory it is almost a necessary
Grilling or smoking without knowing the right temperature is driving your car without a speedometer. Your driving, but got no idea how fast.
Cooking without a thermometer is almost the same. You are cooking, but got no idea how fast.
- higher temperature means a shorter cooking time or maybe even under-cooked food.
- A lower temperature means that you have to cook longer and the meat might dry out.
I know that many of the better brand grills come with some kind of build-in thermometer either in the hood or like in some more upscale grills on the grate level.
Those thermometers are most of the time, not the best quality, and most of the time also not placed in the right place. So, I consider them not to be the best grill thermometer.
Some of the better brand pellet grills come with at least one and in some cases two probes that measure the temperature.
We will review the following digital thermometers and you can click on the links.
Digital Pocket Thermometers
Digital Probe Thermometers
Where do we need a thermometer on the grill
When we are grilling or smoking there are two temperatures we should monitor.
- Temperature on the grate level
- Temperature internal in your meat
To be honest, if I had to choose (and don’t we all?) I would go for the temperature on the grate level first and buy a quality thermometer for that. Some people are too obsessed with the temperature in their grill.
I probably have a lot of people who don’t agree with me and say that they are both equally important, and I guess they are right, but I am talking about making a choice.
I rather know what temperature I am cooking on and guess the time I have to cook than knowing the internal temperature and got no idea how the outside of my meat will look.
What are the best grill thermometers
There are a few qualifications a thermometer should have.
- Accurate reading
This is of course one of the most important things. A bad reading is about just as bad as no reading at all.
- Speed of reading
This is important for any handheld thermometer because you open the lid of your grill to check the internal temperature and your grill will loos its temperature fast.
A reading speed of half a second is great.
With this reading speed, you have time to measure the temperature on several spots.
- Length of the used probe
Very important for larger cuts of meat like a Boston but or big ham.
- Water resistant and easy to clean
This is a no-brainer and I think it does not need any explanation.
Where to place a grill and meat thermometer
- The first place I suggest you place a thermometer is about 2 inches above the grill grate.
- this is most of the time the temperature you are cooking with.
- Of course, it is important to place it close to the meat, and if you are cooking indirect not to close to the heat source.
- The second is in your meat, for the internal temperature, and that is determent by the cut of meat you are cooking.
- Place it in the thickest part, but make sure not to touch a bone with the tip.
- This will give a false reading.
What grill thermometer should I buy
- I strongly advise you to spend as much as you can afford because it will pay back in better quality cooking and will help you prevent having under or overcooked meat.
The Best Choice would be a dual probe digital thermometer or 2 separate thermometers.
One, like I mentioned 2″ above the grill grate and the other in the meat you are cooking to check the internal temperature.
After doing the grill thermometer reviews I advise to have a look at the Maverick Thermometers and here is a link to Amazon, because I think they have the best prices and customer service.
Click here for all Maverick Thermometers
How do you know if a thermometer is accurate?
What is a grill thermometer review without telling you how to calibrate it?
The easiest way to test this is calibrating in ice water, let it sit in there for a minute. After this, the reading should be 32 degrees or at least very close to that.
The next step is to take boiling water and submerged it for a minute again. The reading should be 212 degrees or at least very close.
I will be writing more grill thermometer reviews and be more specific about brands and features as soon as we are done with our research.
Eddie van Aken